HI GUIZE! I’m here to play 18 questions! So if you wanna get to know me a little bit better, this is how! So buckle your seatbelts and prepare your butts.
1. Which bands/artist do you own the most albums by?
I have several bands i own almost every album of... i use digital downloading for now since i actually have nowhere to store physical cds anymore, but when i get my own place, i will be collecting again. But the 3 bands i have the most albums to are Nightwish, Delain, and Within Temptation.
2. What was the last song you listened to? Detonate by Starkill
3. What’s in your CD player right now? I do not have one anymore, as i had nowhere to store it. But the thing playing on my iPad is Starkills album, Gravity.
4. What was the last show you attended? The last show I attended was Unleash the Archers right before the Coronavirus quarantine began. In fact, one week after the show, the whole world was on lockdown and everyone’s tours got cancelled.
5. What was the greatest show you’ve been to? I would have to say that the greatest show I have ever been to was Grand Magus, Arch Enemy, At the Gates, and Amon Amarth. That show was the iciest show and every band killed it on stage!
6. What was the worst show you’ve ever been to? I went to a show once whereI did not know any of the bands too well and they were ALL terrible. I don’t want to give names. But the show was so bad because the sound system was out of whack and every band looked like they were struggling. It hurt so bad to watch.
7. What is the most musically involved you have ever been? I am currently lead singer and songwriter for a band called Sun Lay Silent, the lead singer of a project called Nox Aeternum that is debuting soon, and I have a solo project and several guest appearances in the future. I also have quite a few friends in the metal scene that have been very helpful in leading my projects in the right direction. I am pretty damn involved in the scene and am a HUGE fan of metal in general. I hope to tour soon and be even more in touch with it.
8. What show are you looking forward to?
I WAS looking forward to Battle Beast and Seven Spires cause I was gonna buy VIP passes to meet both bands and I was SUPER excited cause Adrienne and Norah are a couple of my favorite vocalists and i got my chance to meet them taken due to Covid 19. That shit seems to be ruining EVERYTHING.
9. What is your favorite band shirt? I have a shirt by Delain that had a lovely lady with a lamp and the color scheme is so gorgeous. I have been very very careful to not mess it up at all because i love it that much!
10. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
I think I would enjoy hanging out with Adrienne Cowan, as our interests are very similar and she is actually very easy to talk to.
11. Who is one musician or group you wish would make a comeback? I REALLY wish that Ronnie James Dio would rise from the dead for one last album. I feel if he wrote a new album during this time, it would do REALLY well and I would LOVE to hear new work from him.
12. Who is one band/ artist you’ve never seen live but always wanted to? I have always wanted to watch Nightwish. I hear their current vocalist, Floor Jansen is AMAZING live and I have seen videos on YouTube of her performances live. I want to experience this in person.
13. Name four or more flawless albums
This one is WAY too hard. But if i had to choose 4 completely flawless albums that I never skip a single song to, they would be
Gravity by Starkill
Apex by Unleash the Archers
Until the End by Eleine
Moonbathers by Delain
14. How many concerts have you been to, total? Like 10... I was a very deprived child....
15. Who have you seen the most live? Madonna.... I am a fan of her older work.
16. What is your favorite movie soundtrack? My favorite movie soundtrack is the Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack. It was actually one of the albums that got me into composition. Plus, I had the pleasure of joining in on the choir for one of the shows they held in my home town. My college choir sang along with a few of the songs in the audience to make the experience broader.
17. What was your last musical ‘phase’ before you wisened up? I have never really had a “phase”. But i used to just listen to trendy shit on the radio to fit in, as i was always kind of an outcast. But then i discovered metal was my true calling. After that, i sank in and have not gotten over it. There is so much to metal! I love it!
18. What is your ‘guilty pleasure’ that you hate to admit liking? I actually like SOME Lady Gaga music. Mostly the softer stuff. And I also like Elton John A LOT. Lol!
guys.... oh. My. God....
ok. Ummmm. I am gonna get right down to business. No sugarcoating things. As of now, I feel the need to say something about how the hell 2020 has been so far...
2020 started off like any other normal year. With festivities and new changes to my life that began immediately. And I observed many of my fellow artists release new content or announce lineup changes.... but then, about the middle of February, things got a little bit nutty.... I am not talking like “that’s weird”... I am talking a major WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS GOING ON kind of change...
about mid February, it was announced that COVID 19 was becoming hard to contain. Many in China have lost their lives over it and it was beginning to spread around the country... no biggie. One freaking week later, it is in Europe.... in Italy mostly, but it was affecting a lot of people.... Kay. No biggie. I was sure they’d find answers or at least make an effort to stop this. NOPE. Within 3 weeks, it reached America, killed many more people, and is now labeled a global pandemic.... after the end of February,it was merely an emergency.... even though it had apparently been around since December. Like wtf, people? Why did this agreement take so long? Where was the effort to stop people from dying? Or to contain it so it at least didn’t become this bad? Now, 3 months into our new year, the world is pretty much locking down temporarily. A lockdown doesn’t seem like a big deal right? Wrong.
like the roaring 20’s, we now have a plague wiping people out... but now we also face another crisis in lockdown.... the economy,after a rough recovery from a previous recession, we are now facing another one. Many are being laid off due to the virus and lockdown. The medical system has been exposed as being pretty fucked up, and on top of all this, the entertainment industry is declining. It is affecting all forms... operas, plays, movie theaters, sports, Broadway, and also TOURING BANDS AND INDIE BANDS. Bands everywhere are canceling or postponing tours due to travel restrictions and to stop the spread of the virus... but this hurts them. Why?
When a band goes on tour, they have to pay for a lot of stuff. Some of these things include hotels, food, booking venues, and other expenses along the way that come up. A lot of the band do this out of their pockets or are compensated temporarily by a record company that will pay off the bulk, but then the band sometimes has to reimburse the costs by making ticket sales/ album sales/ merch sales. So yes.... in the end, some bands are most likely going to go into debt from this shutdown of the world. And the travel industry will also fail, as many travel for tours and for work... And now, lockdowns are also preventing some bands from meeting in person for rehearsals and recording. EVERYTHING HAS GONE TO SHIT.
Many bands I follow are all putting up Gofundme and Kickstarter campaigns to gain their funds back and plan for better tours... but in these tough times, it may be very difficult to recover. Especially the indie bands around the world.... mine included, as we were just about to start on album production to get things moving along for us. It is a real shame. Alot of my favorite artists are even saying their bands could disband from this.. My band already had to push back a lot. And I did too. But now ALL my solo music video shoot, Band shoots, and releases have to be postponed thanks to regulations in this time.
So what now? What do we do?
I am going to go on a limb here. As the situation gets worse, more and more panic buying and fighting and even RACISM are popping up everywhere. During these trying times of seeing people freaking out, fight over insignificant things such as toilet paper, and seeing people be racist toward a group of people who are NOT to blame for any of this, some of us may be wondering how long our sanity will last. Mine personally left eons ago. Before any of this bullshit started happening. But during times like these, we have no choice but to turn to ARTISTS to keep us sane. Whom? ARTISTS. The very people who face turmoil right now from their tour cancellations, performance cancellations, and other forms of being screwed over financially. YEAH. Those People. Aart costs money. Art is crucial for humanity to keep themselves busy and sane during times like these. But what happens when they are unable to create? What will happen when new art cannot surface and we cannot find ways to entertain ourselves? Welp, for one thing, The frikin Purge may start happening and people may start attacking each other on the streets to get supplies.... Especially since TP is having a shortage right now and people keep bulk buying to sell it online for 10x the price. (Bunch of worthless shits making money off people's fear!)
Wanna know how the hell you can help keep art in our world? Wanna knmow how you can prevent the Artpocalypse? Support your artists. Support them. Whether it is sacrificing a little money to back their Gofundme/ Kickstarter campaigns, to buy a shirt or other merch piece, or just frikin watching their youtube/ Spotify content and sharing the shit out of it. Every little bit will help. Support their patreons. Support theiur endeavors to recover. Reassure them. Write to them. Love them, guys. Love your artists. Because someday they may not be here anymore and it will be because they were forced to quit doing the thing they loved. Artists create shit to make YOU happy. They create to spread THEIR message and love to you all. And you can help without having to spend a lot of money. Just streaming them and sharing them on any streaming platform will help them out of this hole. (Me included). Please, everyone. Support us artists in our time of need.
My band was about to start producing our album when this crisis hit. Now we are on lockdown and most likely unable to meet often. We want to give you the best content we can. So I reopened my Patreon account to include exclusive content (including unpublished videos and music), livestreams, behind the scenes for Sun Lay Silent, early acces to our content, and the ability to provide feedback and vote on what we should do. More details are explained on my page. If you want to help my guys and I make you an AMAZING first album, this is the best way to help. I promise it won't pout a dent in your finances either, as we get it. We know money is really hard to come by right now for everyone. Streaming our content and mine on Youtube and streaming my Spotify content also really helps. Sharing too. If you choose to support our endeavor, we will be endebted to you always! Every bit will be helping SLS!
Stay strong everyone... And remember, We are in this together! We love you!
Now What can we do about this lockdown thing?
I will personally be hosting livestreams (both hangouts and gaming), hangouts, karaoke, and watch parties so that we can all hang out and entertain each other. I am hoping to get Netflix party installed so that We can watch some good movies together! I also want to mention a few ways you can entertain yourself as well besides hanging with me.
Things to do during lockdown:
1. Bake/ Cook
Comfort food is essential during this time. so make something good.... but if your food supply is low, be careful not to overdo it. Cookies and cake are not too hard to make from scratch. If you have veggies, brew a stew. They can hold up a long time. Food is essential! Eat!
2. Draw/ Paint/ Create
It doesn't hurt to learn something new. The internet has all sorts of tutorials that you can use to learn something new. doesn't hurt to try to learn something creative to keep you occupied. who knows? It may even turn into a hobby! This is actually how i became a musician. Being an introvert has its advantages!
3. Binge watch shows/ Watch Parties
This is the time every introvert has been waiting for. A chance to binge watch all their favorites without worry about time. You have all the time in the world in this time, so why not get into a new tv show!? Netflix has a new thing where you can watch movies with friends in real time and chat! it is called Netflix Party.Get it! you won't regret it! You'll stay connected to your friends and loved ones while watching a movie together!
4. Clean your house.
Chores fucking suck. But this is the time to clean up your place a bit. Maybe make rearrangements that you have been wanting to make or see what you can do to reorganize some stuff. I recently just did some spring cleaning and managed to clear out 2 bags full of clothes i don't use anymore. Now is the time to get this overwith! Ya know?
5. Skype loved ones.
For fucks sake, guys. I cannot emphasize this more. Check in on your family and friends. Especially those at risk right now and cannot leave. They are probably bored out of their fucking minds right now and want company. Skype is a great way to talk to your loved ones. So do it once in a while at least to see how they're holding up!
6. Collaborate with other creators
Chances are, they are just as bored as you are right now. Reach out to your fellow creators. See what they have planned.
7. Play some video games you haven't in awhile
Chances ar that you have some old games laying around somewhere in your home that you have not touched. Or new ones you have not had much time for. Well guess what, the time is NOW. Get to it. Beat Ocarina of Time or Kingdom Hearts again. Catch Pokemon! Become the High King of Skyrim! Die a billion times in Dark Souls or Bloodbourne and rage quit. Do something! Play some WOW or LoL.Chances are this can last awhile, so now is the time! And beating the shit out of bad guys feels good!
8. Write letters to your friends.
Writing letters is wonderful. It is an alternative to Facebook Messaging. But there is always some part of my that loves the handwritten letter. It feels like there is a lot more love and thought in them. So send a letter to a pen pal or loved one. Chances are they'll appreciate the effort.
Self explanatory. Reading is a great way to pass time. read comics, articles, books, novels. HECK write your own! It is a great way to kill time!
There is so much more you can do besides these things
During the lockdown, there is a lot you can do. But these are the best choices in my opinion. What else can you do in these times? Let me know in the comments! That's all I have to say for now, though! Stay safe, Wash Your Hands, and Stay the fuck home. Love you all! Hopefully everything goes back to normal soon!
sup,creeps? I'm baaaack!
Hopefully this blog finds you all doing well! I know y'all probably could give less of a fuck what has been happening since I went AWOL on you all.
LET ME FUCKING TELL YOU. SHIT HAS REALLY HIT THE FAN!
I am currently in the creative process. The Sun Lay Silent debut album is now officially starting production. As of 2 weeks ago, Mark and I have been busting our balls trying to write some sick riffs and put them together into songs. The album will have 13-14 songs on it and we currently have 6.... and we are not even done yet.
There is also the fact that I have been working on my 2nd solo single, which I actually just received the final cut for TODAY. and there will be a music video filmed for it and everything. Would like to let ya'll know that if you join my email list, you all get it early! So if you want in on that shit, FUCKING SIGN UP FOR MY EMAIL LIST! I am leaving a contact form for you to do so.
Mmmmmmkay. SO ANYWAYS! Mark and I have been busting our balls and it seems it may be a LOOOOONG ways before we get content out to you guys, on top of my having to plan a full solo music video and solo covers and sound tracking as well. How the fuck do you stay motivated while all this shit is piling up on your plate? Well, here are some ways I keep myself motivated in these trying and overwhelming times!
1. Keep your head in the clouds.
Byou read that right. Keep your head in the clouds.
"But Arwen. What the actual fuck do you mean?"
Keeping your head in the clouds means you are daydreaming. Why daydream? Because if you desire something enough, eventually it will fall into your hands.
"But Arwen, what the hell do you mean it will fall in my hands?"
I mean the power of attraction you big dummy! If you desire something enough and you work for it, eventually it happens. Daydreaming of things you can do is also a way you can come up with ideas. I do this shit literally all the time! This is how I have come up with ideas, music, and also how I made a few video ideas come to life. I also use this to keep myself motivated and remember that what I daydream about is what I am striving to achieve. NEVER STOP DAYDREAMING. Make it your daily mantra to daydream a little. IT GIVES YOU HOPE.
2. Take A break, god dammit.
Getting writer's block or feel drained? Then you're obviously working yourself into madness and will descend into it unless you take a goddamn break. Make like a kit kat and give yourself a break. This entails you STEPPING AWAY FROM YOUR WORK STATION and DOING SOMETHING THAT IS NOT YOUR WORK. Get some sunlight, you damn vampire. Get some fucking social time before you turn into a hermit and people think you died or something. Getting out once in a while fuels your batteries and lets the creative juices flow. I, myself, am fucking TERRIBLE at taking breaks. So what happens when you don't?
A few things actually.
1. You will die alone, sad, and on the shitter. NOT a good way to go... Or you'll just be lonely and sad, therefore descending slowly into madness.
2. you'll probably forget to do things like eat or take a shower.
3. You can end up working yourself sick, therefore making yourself too sick to even continue your work. Which, knowing your dumb ass (and mine) you'll continue anyway till you keel over into a sad sack of sickness.... or you'll forget to take your meds and end up get more sick, which can hospitalize you and impede even worse in your work.
4. As mentioned above, you'll most likely forget to feed yourself or do daily things like take a shower, brush your teeth, or even call your mother (who most likely doesn't give a shit where you are.... but it doesn't hurt to check.) This can lead to you looking AND feeling like a pile of used chonies.... just like the ones you are currently wearing. Ew.... FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO SHOWER AT LEAST....
In conclusion? Breaktime is essential to hold your feeble existence and sanity together.
3. During your breaks, write down your ideas
If somehow while you are taking your much needed break, you come up with something, jot that shit down into a notebook. I personally carry a black notebook in my purse and in this notebook, I write every single idea I come up with when I am not at a piano or my desk. So that way I have a reference to look back on when I do finally get back to my work. Sometimes when you recharge, your brain will catch up. So ALWAYS carry a small notebook and pen with you. Just in case. New ideas means now motivation to continue what you are doing and when you are writing your album, it is always good to have a load of ideas at hand to go off of. ESPECIALLY if the album is your debut album! THE FIRST ALBUM IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST ALBUM TO WRITE. ESPECIALLY IN A BAND THAT IS BARELY BECOMING A THING.
4. Meet with your band mates once or twice a week during the writing process.
Never forget to acknowledge that the partners you work with are probably just as drained as you are. You're all in this shit together. So when you are all writing together, make it more frequent during the time you are working on your album. And never forget to ask your mates how the process is making them feel. It gives you a chance to get to know each other a lot better and to also hear their ideas and opinions on how everything is going down. Heckm try meeting outside of practice as well. Sometimes, my mates and I go to local shows and concerts together. We recently saw Dragonforce together and this show gave us a TON of ideas on what we could do with our music. It helped us come up with one of our new songs we are currently working on as well!
5. Go For a walk or something
This one goes along with the taking a break thing. GET SOME GOD DAMN SUNLIGHT. You need it to not only nourish and replenish your body (as agonizing our smoldering ball of fire and gas is) and to recharge your batteries. Taking a walk on a nice day can help you get creative in many ways. Being one with nature in any way, shape, and form is always soothing and will help that wrinkly thing in your head to relax and also generate future plans of destruction to mankind.... I mean creativity ...
6. Eat Breakfast. for fuck's sake.
"But, Arwen. This should already be a known thing."
WELL NO SHIT, SHERLOCK.
It is a given that you should always be sure to eat breakfast at least before you go on a looooooong ass day of creating music. Why? Studies have shown that eating breakfast can really make the ideas flow. Google that shit. I am not even kidding. This is a blog about fucking common sense and a music career. Not about stats, but I advise you. GOOGLE THAT SHIT. The brain is more energized and awake after eating a good meal in the morning. Especially after eating something like Bacon and eggs (If you're vegan, try something like tofu and pepper veggie burritos. It is fucking AWESOME.) This gives you that morning boost. I do not suggest a morning cup of coffee though. drinking coffee too early in the day can actually give you a headache. I suggest drinking coffee around lunch or a little before to open things up a bit and let that blood flow from the caffeine. :). Again, if you think I am wrong, ask Google. Cause what the fuck do I know? With my almost getting my degree in Forensic Pathology (Before I gave that bullshit up to pursue my dream and getting a degree in acting instead.) and reading a shit ton of shit on the internet.
7. Drink water. for fuck's sake....
This one should be obvious for obvious reasons. Water makes up 71% of our planet (it used to be 75% but since global warming and all, we lost 4 %. way to go, humanity...) and about 60% of our bodies. YEAH. FRIKIN 60. You're a walking sac of water and dust. That's humanity in general... except many are just sacks of shit as well as water and dust. And dust is what you will become if you do not drink at least a few glasses of water a day. Drink at least 3 or 4 glasses if you can. Trust me when I say, not only does it keep you energized, it helps keep your puny brain a functioning one. :). So if you're thinking about drinking like 80 cups of coffee so that you pull an all nighter, think again and grab some good ol' H2O instead. :).
8. practice and persist
"WELL NO SHIT, ARWEN. ALL MUSICIANS SHOULD"
Well, my friends, you'll be surprised how many musicians slack off immensely in this area. YES. practice and maintain your instruments as much as you can. You cannot be a musician and never practice a day for it. You gotta constantly be with it and know your instrument inside and out. Fuck, dude. You guys have no idea how fucking lazy a lot of musicians have become over the years. I see many who work hard, but also some who are extremely big headed and lazy! Some will go smoke a bowl then fucking complain about how they "never achieved their careers" or how they think that certain musicians in their local scene who have success "don't deserve a damn bit of it" or "the scene is a scam" or "I deserve the fame. Why can't we find fnas?" Some of these motherfuckers always go around to other up and coming artists and bands (who are most likely in the same boat as they are) and try to "educate" them on how to further their careers and constantly say how awesome their band is. And they then proceed to spam the shit out of you for ticket sales so they can just get rid of the tickets they have. Some even go as further lower than that in many ways.
But all I can say is that you should pay no heed to people who constantly try to explain to you that you should do this, this, and this for your career when they constantly complain about how the scene is jipping them. ESPECIALLY if they themselves have not had success. Success comes to those who work hard and never give up. You gotta really want it. And Shit, if you practice the hell out of your instrument and keep putting yourself out there, eventually you will be heard! You just have to persist! And this brings us to number 9.
9. fuck the haters.
I simply CANNOT say this enough. Fuck the haters. Let them fuel your fire. Use their shitty comments to motivate yourself to become a better musician. This applies to local haters, trolls on the internet, and also to that family member who has a fucking nickel in their ass and cannot stand that you're a musician and have a bit more of a chance of success than they do. Fuck. The. Haters. You're better than them. Believing every word they say can lead you down a path to destruction. Self doubt is the destroyer of music careers and the poison that feeds shit like depression or writers block. Don't let their shit ruin yours. Those same haters will also be listening to your music an clicking your videos and watching them JUST TO HATE ON THEM. I get this shit every day now. It is very funny because little do they know that their viewership/ stream/ commentary on my content COUNTS TO MY FAVOR. And it will do you favors as well. See, the way it works is that the more people watch and comment your content, the more it is recommended to others EVEN IF THEY HATED IT. It is quite funny! So use this as an advantage!
10. treat yourself
Another thing I cannot stress enough. TREAT YOURSELF FOR YOUR HARD WORK. This one is obvious as hell. If you're over here busting your ass to get your content out there and you feel the need to treat yourself to keep motivated, GO ON AHEAD. Don't go ape shit, but do get yourself something nice.
Recently or my hard work, I went and purchased my FIRST customized stage dress that is one of a kind! It is coming in In a few weeks and I am beyond thrilled! I will also be wearing it in the first Sun Lay Silent music video and for a photo shoot as well! Hoping to show you all soon!
Getting yourself something as a reward for your hard work will keep the fires burning! So never forget that above all else, treat yourself!
So what's the take awaty from this blog?
Never forget. You matter above all else. As much as your mates and your music does, you gotta keep yourself invigorated and take care of yourself in any way you can. Spend time with loved ones, get fresh air... Do SOMETHING to keep your sanity in the trying times of creating an album. It can get really really tough. In the end, your dedication and hard work WILL pay off. Even if you do not go viral or get that fan base you needed. There is still the fact that YOU CREATED THIS AMAZING THING and in the end, that make you a winner!
On that note, I bid you farewell! Keep it metal, my friends. And don't forget to keep up to date on my insta and SLS's insta on how the process is going!
greetings, metalheads! I am finally back after a long time away from my website! i hope you didnt miss me too much! ;)
Today I wanted to go over why it is i have been busy lately. the reason why is actually a topic i have been meaning to discuss on this blog. i may write more parts to this at a later time as i keep having the experiences, but i wanted to get a few things off my chest and to also express that a lot is starting to happen on my end that will be coming to you all very soon.
so, arwen? what is it that has your nickers tied in a knot so much that you once again neglect that blog about dead rock stars you were supposed to publish 3 months ago?
well, as you all may be aware, we are almost halfway thru the year at this point. we are at the hilltop of 2019 and from here it all goes downhill. if you want the schpeel straight to the point, scroll past the american horror story gif. :)
as you all may be experiencing, you may be looking back at your to do list for the year and you may be wondering why the fuck you have not attempted anything or gotten anything done. you lost that diet kick, missed that goal by an inch, or possibly may have forgotten completely.
that is where i find myself these days. i made myself a specific list of goals for 2019 about november of last year after the release of my single.
-to upgrade my software for video editing
-to create the next ep and the next solo single
-to start a band
-to get to 600 youtube subscribers by the end of 2019.
-to lose weight and keep it off.
-to learn hurdy gurdy and violin a lot better
happy to tell ya, i have been keeping up all of this except a couple, but even then i am trying my best to make sure i at least get a little bit of results...
As of late i have been making it a point to upgrade all the software i have had, which is coming at a price, but i have a new video editing software that i was suggested by a friend. i release the first video i made with it in a couple of days. :)
I AM DRIFTING BETWEEN PROJECTS AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. I HAVE MY SOLO YOUTUBE CHANNEL THAT I HAVE STILL BEEN MAKING CONTENT FOR AND I ALSO STARTED A BAND CALLED SUN LAY SILENT THAT IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON THE FIRST RELEASES AND A COUPLE OF COVER SONGS TO PUT UP ON OUR YOUTUBE. SO WHEN IT COMES TO THE CREATION OF MORE MUSIC AND VIDEOS, THAT IS DEFINITELY HAPPENING, THOUGH IT IS SLOW, AS I AM WORKING, SAVING MONEY, AND UPGRADING MY SETUPS SO THE BAND AND MY SOLO WORK CAN RELEASE TOP QUALITY CONTENT. ALL OUR BAND NEEDS IS THE REST OF OUR MEMBERS, BUT WE ARE WRITING NONETHELESS. :)
AS FAR AS THE WEIGHT LOSS, I HAVE BEEN PRETTY SICK ALL YEAR, SO WORKING OUT IS CHALLENGING. BUT I AM STILL MAKING HEALTHIER CHOICES AS FAR AS FOOD, SO I AM AT LEAST NOT GAINING WEIGHT. BUT I AM GETTING MYSELF TAKEN CARE OF, WHICH IS GREAT. :) I HAVE BEEN FEELING A LOT BETTER LATELY. MAY NEED A SURGERY OR 2, BUT AFTER THAT PAIN, I WILL BE 100%AGAIN!
AS FAR AS MY VIOLIN AND HURDY GURDY ENDEAVOR, MY HURDY GURDY HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR MONTHS AT THIS POINT AND THE TOOLS I NEED TO REPAIR IT ARE STILL BEING WORKED ON. I AM HOPING TO GET IT FIXED SOON BECAUSE THE BAND NEEDS IT FOR SOME OF THE MUSIC WE ARE CURRENTLY WRITING.
so what is my point in writing this rambling today?
i wanna talk to you guys about living the life of a musician. one that is not some big rockstar. one that does not tour. one that is starting things up, but taking the time to grow...
so, as far as this goes, there is a process to it. as i mentioned above in explaining if i have met some of my goals yet, that is one of the points of creating content. there is a list of steps to take to create and manage your time properly. i am gonna give rough (and not that detailed) instructions on how it is i have been doing my routines to complete the process of content creation.
let me be one of millions of other content creators to tell you that creating content is never easy. it is a hard journey. you will be tired as fuck. you will probably get sick. you will be made fun of, work a shitty job while finding time to continue making your content, face haters and internet trolls, and somehow you will make a masterpiece. so all that in a nutshell:
The Process of Creating
The hurdy gurdy is basically a wheel fiddle and is thought to have originated from the fiddle in either Europe or the Middle east. It was first mentioned in the 9th century as a typical instrument in the Byzantine Empire. One of the early forms was called an organistrum, which kinda looks like a Nykellharpa with a crank and it was played by 2 people. This instrument has one melody string and 2 drones. One guy turned the crank while the other pulled the keys upward. Due to its size, you could imagine how hard this thing was to play! Check out these 2 guys in the picture playing it. THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF SWAG.
I AM A PROUD MOTHER OF A HURDY GURDY. :P
The Top 10 Gurdist Problems:
1. THERE WILL BE COTTON. EVERYWHERE.
2. FUCK THE TANGENTS.
3. ROSIN DUST. DON'T SNORT IT.
4. TOOLS WEAR OFF TOO FAST. GOD DAMMIT.
5. Having sausage fingers can be a downfall.
6. There is no room for error.
7. HURDY GURDIES HATE THE WEATHER.
8. Traveling is hard.
9. PEOPLE WILL QUESTION YOU. ALL. THE. TIME.
10. YES THEY ARE EXPENSIVE EVEN AFTER THE EXPENSE OF PAYING FOR IT.
Is this instrument for you?
- Do you have the patience to tinker A LOT?
- Do you already have another stringed instrument?
- Do you live near a luthier (maker)?
- Do you at least have a SMALL amount of musical knowledge?
- Can you do your research to learn it?
Well guys, I'm going to bed before I fall asleep on my keyboard again. Hoping this post doesnt scare you from the gurdy. Like I said, It is a wonderful instrument. Just frustrating. But it is worth every minute of the time you spend on it!
I'll see you all later and as I always say, Keep it METAL!!!
DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME???
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT... I am gonna set things straight on how it really is to be trying to make a music career out of nothing but your own creativity, blood, sweat, tears, and finances.
- There is a LARGE dependance of your circumstances. Such as the area where you were born in or grew up in, the places you have been, the friends you've made, the wealth you were born with... ALL these play a factor on how you make it as far as your music goes.
- Age. Age is literally everything. if you start off REALLY young and put a ton of passion and time into making yourself better at your art, you get further with it. It DOES NOT happen overnight. Take me for example. I HAVE BEEN AT THIS 10 YEARS. and I am still growing out of the first hole of getting to the scene...
- As I have said before, friendships are a HUGE factor. Here's why. Friends have friends and those friends have friends and if friends are good to you and talk you up to people that they happen to know who may like your art or are in the industry, there is a fighting chance that you can get in on the action. Friends can also be potential band mates if they are into the same thing you are. You just have to find dedicated friends who are honest and loyal. My brother, David is a perfect example. He found a group of friends and formed a band with them. They started playing more gigs and ended up opening for Abigail Williams, but then that fell down the tubes when the friendship he had died. After that, he just couldn't find people he could trust. WHICH BRINGS US TO THE NEXT FACTOR...
- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Being in an area where it is boring or the scene is not really popping (my hometown being the perfect example of this) can really drive a dagger into your career. Not only that, being inn an environment where you're surrounded by certain types of people can make things toxic and THAT is a HUUUUGE nono!!!
- MONEY TALKS. this one is FREAKING SERIOUS. Over my 10 years of being a musician, my family has spent HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars. I have bought a 4000 dollar hurdy gurdy, my parents recently bought me a 3000 dollar computer so I can create better content, I also was given a 200 dollar violin for Christmas, spent 1000 on 2 cameras (one of which BROKE.... which is why I DO NOT recommend GO PRO), spent 120 on a performance mic and another 100 on wires for performance, my parents gifted me a 300 dollar mic and 2000 dollar keybaord with recording capabilities to make my music on, plugins for my music programs are pricey.... I also pay 40+ dollars a month to promote videos when I feel the need. And this is not even EVERYTHING I have bought or done to make the content I post. I also have hundreds of thousands of dollars more to plan including another 12,000 to pay my producer to make my EP with me and also plan photoshoots, travel for video shoots, etc... It is a PRICEY business.
See what I mean? Now that you have a picture of what that is like, we can move on the actual experience of it using a series of comparison gifs and explaining the reasons.
EXPERIENCE 1- GETTING IDEAS LATE AT NIGHT
HERE IS WHY:
EXPERIENCE 2- Writer's Block
There is no in between when you're a solo musician
EXPERIENCE 3- MONEY MONEY MONEY
Most likely if you're solo, you'll be broke a lot of the time unless you already have a lot of money, a huge amount of listeners/ audience, or a supportive family/ friend group.
- Lessons (If you're even able to fit it into your schedule)
-Rent for the Venue a gig is held in
-Fees for studio musicians/ band members (For solo artists, this is a must. Because as much as one can be a jack of all trades, it does not mean they have mastered EVERYTHING.)
-Distribution fees (both physical and digital)
-Making Merch (YES. MAKING MERCH COSTS MONEY!)
-Booking a performance/ gig (booking agents. nuff said.)
-Instruments/ Instrument Maintenance (If your instrument breaks or needs a repair, you gotta pay for it)
-Music Production (Recording, Mixing, Mastering. ALL ARE SEPERATE FACTORS IN THIS CATEGORY)
-Photo/ Video Shoots AND EDITING THAT COMES WITH IT.
-Equipment for Performance and backup equipment in case that equipment breaks.
-Promotion Costs (Radio Spins, Facebook Ads, Youtube Ads, Google Ads in general)
-Running a Website (Pro domain costs 12/ year and also has fees added to whichever site you choose to make your website.)
-Clothes (to look the part)
-Bills for living
-Management (If you somehow manage to get someone to talk to you. This is a long shot most of the time because to even get a hold of someone you need to network a LOT)
-Networking (This means going to shows and meeting others who do the same thing you do.)
This ALL comes down to how you manage your money and what you do to save. Journaling/ planning your expenses can make a HUGE difference! And hopefully by reading the text above you get an idea as to why bands and solo artists ask for money. IT IS BECAUSE MOST OF US ARE STRUGGLING TO MAKE END'S MEET AND WE WANNA GET OUR ASSES OFF THE GROUND.
Experience 4- Practicing
The reality of the matter is that making time to practice gets to be a DESPERATE endeavor.
Experience 5- Time Management
Experience 6- When you finally sleep
There is a reason why a lot of solo artists say "SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK"
Experience 7- The Business Aspect
Not every artist is a business expert... Not every business expert is an artist.
Experience 8- TECH ISSUES ARE THE FUCKING WORST!
Being tech savvy is NOT an easy endeavor.
There is a lot more to explain away, but these are the most essential ones I have.
Hopefully you all get a clear understanding of some of the struggles a solo musician can face. As someone of the metal genre AND as a female, it is twice as hard. And I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Stay metal, my friends. I'll see you on the next one! ;).
BADABING BADABOOM! HERE IT COMES!!!
My 2018 Journey started in August 2017 when I took a step I never thought I would...
View this post on Instagram
My #goalbook of #goals which you all will be seeing writings from... I want to see yours too! What are your goals? They can be long or short term. Why do you want this goal? What so you want to achieve with it? #goalchallenge #musicofyoutube #youtubemusic #itunes #musician #indie #indierock #unsigned #topvocal #singersongwriter #singer #arwenstarsong #musicscene #snapchat #musicianlife #music #musician #youtube #indie #indierock #symphonicmetal #ladiesofsymphnicmetal
A post shared by â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡ (@song_of_the_siren14) on
View this post on Instagram
It has been forever since I pulled this out. â¡â¡ I find that I actually accomplished a few of these this year. I am thankful. I can also see that I had been thru a lot this year, as some of these entries are depressing. But this year is the year of change. I am back at this #goalbook thing. What is keeping you guys going? Is it music? Love? A promise? Tell me. #arwenstarsong #metalmusic #metalvocalist #symphonicmetal #powermetal #solometal #femalemetalsinger #femalefrontedmetal #goals #instagood #instafollow #photooftheday #picoftheday
A post shared by â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡ (@song_of_the_siren14) on
Mid 2017, I purchased my hurdy gurdy and waited all of the rest of 2017 for it to be built. So while this was happening, I knew to pay it off, I had to get a job of some sort since my current one was only seasonal and did not pay well. I found 2 jobs. The 2 jobs I found wrecked me. HARD. BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. I worked retail AND food service at the same time. Both my managers were NOT pleased with the other and they scheduled me so much that I hardly had a day to myself. If you flip thru the post above, you can probably tell which posts I wrote around this time, as they were very sad and depressing. Both managers also enjoyed bullying me, insulting me, and humiliating me in front of customers, but I will not go on a rant about that. This was not what I wanted at all, but writing my goals to get out of the mess I was in actually felt liberating.
This release also taught me how to believe in myself. I am now working toward producing my EP and I am hoping to release it by Mid 2019. But it is gonna be a tough ride. I finally got my hands on better equipment to make the videos a lot better and to produce the music a lot faster, so I am hoping it all turns out for the better. but As I pulled out my book and went thru the list of goals I had made for the year, I realized that I had met a few of the goals... Which was not expected. I also got a violin, which is gonna be my next new instrument to master in 2019!
View this post on Instagram
I am not ok... you were my companion. My good boy. My sweet guardian. It breaks my heart you're leaving us early. Just the other day we couldn't get your floofy ass to roll over and you howled at me for not changing the TV to animal planet. I am gonna miss you, Oni. At least now you can have all the toys you want in doggy heaven. #oni #restinpeace
A post shared by â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡â¡ (@song_of_the_siren14) on
As 2019 approaches, I learned in this year to be vigilant, patient, and to stay driven no matter what. Thus, I am entering this year more determined than ever. So I leave you my next list of goals to conclude my personal story. <3.
2019, here I come. And THESE are what I will strive to achieve!
2. I will dedicate more time to practicing my instruments.
3. I will remain focused and determined and not let any naysayers get the best of me.
4. I will drive out the negative things in my life and bring in the positive things.
5. I will continue to make more goals and pursue my dreams.
6. I will stream more games this year, as this year, I slacked BIG TIME.
7. I will learn to cook even better :)
8. I will live a healthier lifestyle in an effort to fix my image for my upcoming career.
9. I will continue to strive for the best when it comes to my music.
10. I will attend at least 3 shows a year starting this year and bring home a t shirt from each one. I will also make more friends and connections in the industry so I can get better advice andlearn more.
11. I will find my audience and get to know them . I will talk to them and be the most relatable person to talk to.
12. I WILL FIND MY BAND. AND THEY WILL BE BADASS. lol
13. I WILL PERFORM LIVE SHOWS THIS YEAR.
So. Now that you have heard my story, there is the question of how YOU will face the new year.
So the first thing I did in 2017 before 2018 even began was I made a goal book, which sometimes gets put away for a very long time, but it is still there. THAT IS STEP ONE.
STEP ONE: WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS IN A NOTEBOOK YOU CAN LOOK AT DAILY!
STEP TWO: MEDITATE ON YOUR GOALS EVERY MORNING BEFORE RISING OUT OF YOUR COFFIN- I MEAN BED...
STEP THREE: DETOX.... TRUST ME.
STEP FOUR: TRY NEW THINGS. Super Cliche, but this worked wonders!
STEP FIVE: KEEP A POSITIVE MINDSET. SERIOUSLY. AND PREPARE FOR THE WORST.
2019 is the year of initiative.
Happy New Year Metalheads! As always, KEEP IT METAL!!! If you'd like, you should check out the youtube playlist below for cool music I personally like to listen to. ;) Introduce yourself to some of the artists in here. They're pretty great!
KEEP IT METAL AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
SO HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS, GUYS. THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD.
Song 1- Havoc by Eluveitie
Song 2- Reason to Believe by Arch Enemy
Song 3- Become the Storm by Dee Snider
Song 4- Cry Thunder by Dragonforce
Song 5- Heart of the Furyan by Dire Peril
Song 6- Tonight We Ride by Unleash the Archers
Song 7- First Kill by Amon Amarth
Song 8- Stand Up and Fight by Turisas
Song 9- Keehauled by Alestorm
Song 10- Beyond the Burning Skies by Battle Beast
Song 11- TriggerPulse by Kobra and the Lotus
Song 12- Victims of Contingency by Epica
Song 13- Last Hope in a World of Hopes by Temperance
Song 14- Kings by Frozen Crown
Song 15- Over the Hills and Far Away (Originally by Gary Moore) Covered by Nightwish
Bonus Song- My Sweet Mystery by The Dark Element
KEEP IT METAL!
ArwenStarsong is a singer, songwriter, lyricist, Youtuber, and multi- instrumentalist from Fresno, California. She is an enthusiast of the metal genre, and a lover of poetry, art, and writing. She also livestreams video games for fun sometimes. She is an artist of the Symphonic/ Power metal genre that is beginning to bud in the community. She recently helped found a new Symphonic Power Metal band called Sun Lay Silent.